Welcome!

We're the Kochs (pronounced like Cook!), a military family living the amazing dream of being stationed in Germany for four years. We are taking advantage of travelling and exploring Europe together, and this blog is our way of sharing our experiences with family and friends.

Please subscribe to our blog below on the sidebar!

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

a golfing adventure + the solheim cup

Hey everyone!  Hope this post finds everyone well and happy.  

Rich is currently back in the States right now for work, but thankfully this is only a four day trip!  I'm not afraid to be by myself in the least, but it's a weird feeling to be on one continent while every bit of your family is in another hemisphere.  

The bad news is that I've hurt my back.  Like, in a bad way.  I can hardly walk, yall.  I've spent a lot of time laying on the heating pad and an ice pack since Rich has been away.  Why do things like this always seem to happen when he's gone?!  I'm super thankful for my awesome friend, Kaitlyn, who has been checking on me regularly.  I'm so bummed because I had planned to do so many things during these four days--decorating for Halloween being the one thing I was SOOOOO excited to do.  But all of it is in our basement storage area...in boxes...which I cannot lift.  I got cocky this morning when I woke up able to straighten up a little more.  Went to the basement to get our Fall wreath, and figured since I was there, I'd go ahead and see if I could get to the Halloween boxes.  Ummm, worst idea I've ever had.  I barely got back up the stairs.  I'll be spending the rest of the day right here on this couch, with heat, ice, my laptop, and my own regret for being such a dummy.

Anyway, Rich took a half day from work this past Friday and we enjoyed the time together.  He found a local golf course he wanted to play, and even though I haven't played a round in a few years I still love to go along with him.  We were getting in the car to head out when Rich asked if I brought my camera.  I didn't.  He urged me to run back into the apartment and get it...I did, but I was thinking I would probably end up toting the thing over 18 holes and wish I hadn't lugged it all the way.  

I was wrong and he was right.  Hey, I'm not too proud to admit it!

This course didn't have motorized carts (most European courses don't!), so we walked the whole thing.  This gave me ample opportunity to do what I do best--get distracted by all the flowers and bugs and critters and pretty things.  













The other half of my heart.

Downtown Frankfurt


This bee looks like he's just taken a bath in all that pollen!  




Yep.  This bull had a bell around his neck and a ring in his nose.  
We were both so tired after wrapping up 18 holes of walking up and down hills!  It was great though.  I love that Rich welcomes me to go along with him!

The next day, we woke up ready to head to another course just outside Heidelberg, Germany, but this time we weren't playing.  We went to the Solheim Cup at St. Leon-Rot Golf Club!  The Solheim Cup is the ladies' version of the Ryder Cup, and we got to watch America take on Europe!  As much as Rich and I follow the PGA, I can speak for myself and tell you that my favorites are Phil Mickelson, Matt Kuchar, and most recently Jordan Spieth.  We've been to practice rounds for both the Masters and the British Open, and we immensely enjoyed both.  But this was our first time to see the ladies of the LPGA do their thing.  And let me tell you...they are beasts with pretty faces!

Thankfully Rich's phone takes great pictures because we assumed cameras wouldn't be allowed.  We were wrong. :( :( :(


Team USA's bus!
We grabbed a bite to eat as soon as we got there, then walked around to check out the course.  We got to the stands on the first tee box just in time to wait for Christie Kerr and Lexi Thompson to tee off!  We were surrounded by LOTS of Americans, but of course since we're in Europe, most everyone was rooting on the other team.  We were all dancing and singing together while we waited, and it was a blast!  Doing the YMCA with a whoooooole bunch of Americans and Europeans alike?  Awesome!!

When Christie and Lexi came through the tunnel, everyone erupted in cheers and applause and pride to hold up our flags!  Goosebumps, people.  You know how I've mentioned more than once before the feeling I got when I see our flag flown over here on land that isn't American soil?  Very similar.  Cheering for our country's athletes in Europe...nothing like it.  

(Rich took lots of pictures during the course of the day, but I haven't asked him for them yet.  I'll add those in later.)


First tee box

This was my view a couple of times as we walked the course....sometimes I wish I had stilts.
Oh, and the best part?  USA FOR THE WIN!!!  Looks like I'm the newest LPGA fan, folks.

Hope you enjoyed this quick little post about what's new with us and our adventures!  



 photo New blog signature_zpsji283eam.png

No comments:

Post a Comment